Suppose that you are the database developer for a local college. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) has asked you to provide a summary of normalizing
Suppose that you are the database developer for a local college. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) has asked you to provide a summary of normalizing database tables that the IT staff will use in the upcoming training session.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Describe the steps that you would use in order to convert database tables to the First Normal Form, the Second Normal Form, and the Third Normal Form.
- Provide one (1) example that is relevant to a college environment that illustrates reasons for converting database tables to the First, Second, and Third Normal Forms.
- Explain typical situations when denormalizing a table is acceptable. Provide one (1) example of denormalizing a database table to justify your response.
- Explain the significant manner in which business rules impact both database normalization and the decision to denormalize database tables.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the purpose and principles of normalizing a relational database structure.
- Design a relational database so that it is at least in 3NF.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in database systems.
Write clearly and concisely about relational database management systems using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Creation of a functional database involves a number of steps by its own. These steps may be seen to some extent as normalizing too. However, when an optimal database has been created, it is important to convert it up to at least the third form………………………..