Write about scaleup from the MENA region. You make the choice. In particular, I’m interested in Scaleups where you have used the product
Write about scaleup from the MENA region. You make the choice. In particular, I’m interested in Scaleups where you have used the product or know someone who has worked there.
This consists of a magazine article of approximately 1000 words in length.
You can download a free report from Mind The Bridge if you want to know more about Scaleups in the MENA region,
The assignment can be about any company that has scaled or is about to scale. I am particularly interested in non-obvious companies (in other words, not Facebook, Google, Apple or Amazon)
– Tell me what it did well to scale
– Tell me what challenges it faces
– Tell me what you would do if you were the CEO?
- The visual component is important. It’s not 1990 anymore and better tools are available than Word Perfect, Lotus 1-2-3 and Harvard Graphics.
- Use pictures, images, graphs, cut-outs, etc. It should look like a magazine article.
- Writing (i.e. the 1000 words required) is about half of the work. You should also have someone else proofread your paper. Typos suggest that the assignment was completed at the last minute, and anything completed at the last minute shows that it’s not a priority for you.
- Concentrate on one issue in depth rather than trying to cover several issues in one piece.
- The first paragraph is important. Get to the point immediately (“If Mark Zuckerberg was a grey-haired old man in a suit, he would be in jail.”) The worst first paragraphs are vague and just plain annoying (“Computers have been around since the 1950s. As our world gets faster and faster, business needs to innovate more and more to survive.”)
- I value original research – try to talk with someone within the company you are writing about, whenever possible.
- With risk comes reward, so an original take is valued even if I disagree (“Gig economy companies are criticized but I see nothing wrong with them.”)
- Sources are not very important. I’m more interested in your opinion. If you wish to cite a source to support your opinion, do so within the text.
- Please do not write about any of my companies – that’s just weird. If you are writing about an Irish company, it’s probably a better idea to say that it’s a terrible company about to fail.
- The test of a good assignment is asking yourself the following question: “If I send this piece to the CEO of the company, would they find it interesting enough to read it?”
Please note that, the most important is the final one or number 10. If I send this assignment to the CEO would he/she find it interesting to read?
Answer preview for Write about scaleup from the MENA region. You make the choice. In particular, I’m interested in Scaleups where you have used the product