What are the factors making many workers across the iPhone value chain vulnerable to poor working conditions?
here is my course materials, please take time go through it. this course is about WORKERS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY: GLOBALIZATION, LABOUR AND UNEVEN DEVELOPMENT.
the purpose i am telling you the course Description is to give you some basic idea about what is going on in this course. hope this can help you in the writing. Focus more on course materials and try related back to the course materials.
This course examines key actors, conditions and processes shaping work and employment relations in the contemporary global economy. Throughout the course, we will pay close attention to how social hierarchies based on class, gender, race, ethnicity and citizenship status, and struggles against them, affect contemporary labour markets and global production networks. The thematic content of the course includes patterns of labour market segmentation, global labour chains, labour migration and ‘global householding,’ social reproduction of the labour force, international labour standards, workers’ collective agency and the future of work.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- – gain an understanding of key concepts, issues and debates relating to work and employment in the global economy
- – analytically and critically evaluate major problems, conflicts and struggles in the contemporary world of work
- – improve their knowledge integration skills through applying abstract concepts and arguments to contemporary cases
- – enhance their communication skills through engaging in a sophisticated and informed dialogue with their peers in class discussions
- For the first question, your answer should be around 1200 words long (excluding references). For each of the remaining questions, write about 700 words (excluding references). Word count can be 10% below or above the limit.
- Write your responses in an essay format.
- Use only the relevant course readings, lectures/slides/discussions and the materials provided in this exam (news articles and websites) to build your answers. You should not do outside research to answer the questions.
- When incorporating arguments from the course readings, put them in your own words (paraphrase). Avoid overusing long quotations. If you make a direct quotation, use quotation marks. In both cases, do not forget to cite the original source.
Question 1 (20 pts.) – Please read the news articles below and write an essay which provides
answers to the following questions:
- What are the factors making many workers across the iPhone value chain vulnerable to
poor working conditions?
- What does the working environment in Foxconn tell us about labour freedom/unfreedom
in contemporary global capitalism?
- Where does the burden of responsibility in terms of these working conditions lie between
Apple, Foxconn, consumers, the Chinese State and the workers?
Answer preview for What are the factors making many workers across the iPhone value chain vulnerable to poor working conditions?