There are many barriers to accessing resources for elder and child abuse. The resource may exist; however, there might be people and
There are many barriers to accessing resources for elder and child abuse. The resource may exist; however, there might be people and processes that make the resource difficult to access. Conduct research to learn about these barriers. Your initial post should discuss what you think are the two most significant barriers in accessing resources for elder abuse AND the two most significant barriers in accessing resources for child abuse. How are the barriers similar and different?
Your response post should be to a student who chose a different barrier than you. Compare and contrast your answers. What other solutions could be developed to overcome their barrier?
This week you will choose a type of abuse. The options are intimate partner abuse, elder abuse, child abuse, or sexual abuse. This will be the focus throughout the course project. The project assignment for this module is to research foundational information on type of abuse you will be focusing on.
After identifying the type of abuse, research your state’s statute(s) that pertain to this type of abuse. Present a discussion of how your state defines the type of abuse through the statute (do not just cut and paste the statute – this will receive zero credit). Include a discussion of the offense level options and how the levels are determined. For example, are there misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony options? What are the differentiating criteria?
Next, research your state’s statistics regarding this type of abuse. These need to be specific to your state so your state’s human services and/or health department is the best source of information. Again, this discussion should be summarized in your own words and supported with research. It should not be cut and paste from a “factsheet.”
Things to include are:
- Rates of reporting. How many cases were reported? What were the outcomes of these cases? What additional information is available on these cases?
- Victim characteristics. What is the gender, age, race and other identifying characteristics of the victims?
- Offender characteristics. What is the gender, age, race and other identifying characteristics of the offenders? What is their relationship to the victim?
Finally, review the criminological theories discussed in the materials from module 01. Determine which theory you believe best explains the type of abuse you chose. Provide a brief explanation of the theory and why you believe this theory best fits the type of abuse. Conduct research to identify a policy that incorporates this theory to address the type of abuse. Explain how the policy incorporates the theory and attempts to prevent the type of abuse.
The assignment should meet APA formatting guidelines and incorporate at least two credible sources (use your state’s government website for statutes and your state’s Department of Health and/or Human Services for the statistics). Use headers to identify each section. This is consistent with APA format. The headers should be “Statutory Definitions and Offense Levels”, “State Statistics”, “Victim Characteristics”, “Offender Characteristics”, “Criminological Theory”, and “Policy Recommendation”. Here is the section of the outline provided in the Project Introduction found in Module 01 that provides a breakdown of what should be included in this segment:
Type of abuse
- Identify type of abuse
- Discuss your state’s statute
- Statutory definition
- Offense level options
- Discuss your state’s statistics
- Rates of reporting
- Victim characteristics
- Offender characteristics
- Criminological Theory
- Apply theory to type of abuse
- Prevention policy recommendation
MODULE 02 DISCUSSION – JUSTIFYING UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR(I PARAGRAPH)This week your reading has focused on unethical behavior, the steps to resolving an ethical dilemma and what to do if you encounter unethical behavior. Part of understanding unethical behavior is rationalization. People will use excuses such as “It’s a stupid rule” or “No one is going to get hurt” or “It’s not my job” to justify an unethical decision.Conduct research and find an example of what you believe to be an officer acting unethically. Your research can be in the form of a newspaper article, news video clip, or another type of video (e.g., YouTube).Initial Post
- Give a brief summary of the example you found. Please include a link to your example for other students to read the article or view the video.
- Discuss why you feel the officer’s actions were unethical. Incorporate the following aspects into your discussion:
- In the steps to resolving an ethical dilemma, what “step” was not followed appropriately? Explain and justify your reasoning.
- Which of the Principle(s) and Rule(s) within that Principle from the POST Boards Professional Conduct of Peace Officers Model Policy has been violated? Explain and justify your choice(s).Response PostRespond to a student with whom you agree that their example demonstrates unethical behavior. Discuss what rationalizations the officer used to justify the unethical actions. Do you think the officer has/had valid points? Why or why not? Given the scenario, what could the law enforcement officer have done differently to act responsibly and ethically?MODULE 02 WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT – IMPORTANCE OF ETHICS AND VALUESScenarioYou work for a department with the following mission statement:The members of this Police Department are committed to excellence in partnership with the community by upholding the Constitution of the United States, the laws of the state and city ordinances. We acknowledge our responsibility to be role models by promoting diversity, building trust, reducing crime, and providing a safe environment to enhance the quality of life for those we serve. To accomplish this, we will adhere to the core values of Professionalism, Integrity, Fairness, and Compassion.Your department has faced several high-profile instances of alleged abuse of discretion and officer misconduct. These instances are not isolated, and your Chief has asked you to prepare roll call training for the entire department.InstructionsThe Chief has instructed you to include the following elements in your training:
- Develop a scenario where an officer is abusing their discretion and demonstrating officer misconduct. Explain to your department at least two of the Principles from the POST Boards Professional Conduct of Peace Officers Model Policy and their subsequent Rules that are violated in the scenario. Incorporate why/how the actions are violating the Principles and Rules.
- Discuss the department values, and which values are compromised in abuse of discretion and officer misconduct accusations.
- Based on your scenario, identify three options your department could take to respond to unethical behavior. Which option do you think is best? Explain why you made this choice.To accomplish this, you will create a PowerPoint presentation that includes information on each of these. The presentation must professionally address each of the four elements. Then, using Screencast-O-Matic (the free version), record a 5-7 minute presentation to your department that walks through the PowerPoint presentation.
Answer preview for There are many barriers to accessing resources for elder and child abuse. The resource may exist; however, there might be people and