Approach your HR department to arrange a short informational interview with a mid-level or senior professional in your workplace
Assignment 2: Informational Interview
To gain a real-world perspective on hiring, onboarding, and performance management, for this assignment you will do a short interview with an HR professional (or with a manager) at your workplace. You will ask a total of five questions and keep a record of the responses. Then you will write a paper of 2 to 3 pages, in the form of a report, summarizing the answers you received and reflecting on the impact the interview had on you. Use three of the suggested questions below and make up two questions of your own. Your questions should relate to at least TWO of the following HR topic areas: hiring, onboarding, and performance review.
Approach your HR department (or manager) to arrange a short informational interview with a mid-level or senior professional in your workplace (half an hour or less). If you cannot make this happen in the timeframe required, you may instead interview a business professional whom you know outside of your current workplace.
Questions for the Interview: Select three (3) of the below questions:
1. What 2 or 3 key competencies do you seek in job candidates? Why are these competencies at the top of your list?
2. When would you hire externally and when would you promote internally to fill gaps in your team?
3. How useful are references to you in assessing job candidates?
4. How do you onboard new members of your team or department?
5. What performance review process does your organization use? How effective is it? Create two (2) questions of your own, for a total of five (5) questions.
Outline for your paper
Your paper will be a 2 to 4 page report on your interview, using the Outline below:
• Introduction o Describe the position and business role of your interviewee o Explain your relationship with him or her
• Questions o For each question, briefly summarize the interviewee’s response NOTE: Do NOT write out the interviewee’s exact words
• Reflection o Comment on any answers that surprised you and explain why o What did you learn from this interview that you can apply in your own work?
• Conclusion o Sum up your learning from the interview on at least two of the following HR topic areas: hiring, onboarding, and performance review
• Use a double-spaced, professional font (Times New Roman or Arial), 10-12 font size, with oneinch margins on all sides
• Include a Cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, professor’s name, and the course title and date
• The Cover page is not included in the required page length
• Headings are used to identify main topics and subtopics
• Paragraphs are separated by a single space
• Include a References slide with your sources
Solution preview for the order on approach your HR department to arrange a short informational interview with a mid-level or senior professional in your workplace