How Likely are children born to the families with mental illness history to develop any mental illness issues that might affect their social
- My research question is How Likely are children born to the families with mental illness history to develop any mental illness issues that might affect their social cognition that is social thinking? After reading several studies pertaining to mental health disorders and how they pertain to social thinking, I have realized that each study looks at different things. There have been several studies that look at the links between perinatal mental disorders and their offspring. However, I have not seen enough information regarding children and their future possible outcomes.
- I believe the most appropriate method of research design would be correlational and perhaps observational as well. This would allow the research to be more realistic while having the participants in a natural setting. I struggled with the concept of understanding all the research designs provided. I feel that correlational design would provide me with the best opportunity at obtaining more accurate results
- After understanding the research gap worksheet, I believe that using a correlational design will allow me to use variables for a better research. By studying children who are already diagnosed with some form of mental health illness and those who are not, it will better show the differences of how children’s social interactions are affected.
- Implementing this research design would require parental assistance. Ideally, I would like to use 100 to 150 children between the ages of 7-17 from various demographic regions. I would like to start the research by having the parents answer a survey with basic questions such as “Has your child been diagnosed with any mental illness, etc? I would also include the child’s behavior to get a better understanding of how the child interacts on a regular basis.
- Several concerns with this study include children being minors and needing parental consent. I would also go to great length to provide confidentiality and anonymity to both the parents and the child.
Answer preview for How Likely are children born to the families with mental illness history to develop any mental illness issues that might affect their social