Go the company web site or any other site you prefer and download the most recent (2019) 10-K annual financial statement of Hartford Financial
Go the company web site or any other site you prefer and download the most recent (2019) 10-K annual financial statement of Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. (HIG):
1. Who is HIG and what do they do?
2. How much premium did the company (consolidated) write in the most recent complete fiscal year? Was it a good, average, or bad year for them?
3. What was their consolidated pre-tax net income? What was their after-tax net income? Anything interesting about their tax liabilities?
4. What is management worried about (there is a long section in the 10-K covering risks)? What are they doing to mitigate these risks?
5. Over the past 5 years, what kinds of important trends do you see? Sales? Profitability? Investment returns? Loss ratios? Discuss your findings, referring to specific financial metrics.
6. What business segments are profitable? Not so profitable? Explain.
7. How are they dealing with catastrophe exposures?
8. Briefly describe their marketing strategy.
9. How much did they have invested at the end of the most recent year (look at the consolidated balance sheet — not the holding company or a subsidiary)? What asset class was largest? Why might that be?
This is a 16-point project. Take your time. Take care with language, spelling, and grammar. Use “business” format rather than academic (APA) format. Submit your own words, with little or no direct quoting from the 10-K. If you do quote from the 10-K, make it clear that the words are theirs, not yours. You should be able to cover the subject matter in 3-5 pages single spaced. Divide your paper into 9 sections, responding to the 9 questions above, clearly indicating which question you are answering.
Answer preview for Go the company web site or any other site you prefer and download the most recent (2019) 10-K annual financial statement of Hartford Financial