Students sometimes lose sight of the fact that research and writing skills are skills for effective and informed communication, wherever they are expressed. To assist with the development of such skills, students will be asked to select a particular week whereby they will critique the learning materials and then pose a question that has arisen in their minds in relation to the content. They are then required to ‘answer’ their own question through further research into the topic. The submission will include:
- the question;
- a specific section explaining how is connected to the weekly readings and how it evolved from those readings; and
- a 500 word ‘answer’ that includes ‘reliable’ sources that are cited.
The paper can be submitted anytime during term up to the week 7 plenary (Feb 26th, 2018)(in hard copy and electronic format) but we encourage you to tackle it before final deadlines start to loom. Please note that as this assignment makes use of the reading materials and videos and NOT class content. Therefore, you can complete the research paper on topics that will be covered in the last half of the semester as well.
- Mitchell (2015) Chapter 9: Marine and Freshwater Fisheries in Canada.
- Chapters 1 and 2: EPA (2006): Life Cycle Assessment: Principles and Practice. National Risk Management Research Laboratory, US Environmental Protection Agency. Working Document # EPA/600/R-06/060
- Ayers, N., Tyedmers. P. (2009). Assessing alternative aquaculture technologies: life cycle assessment of salmonid culture systems in Canada. Journal of Cleaner Production. 17: 362-373. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2008.08.002
- Introduction to MSC certification
“Sylvia Earle: How to protect the oceans” – http://www.youtube.com/
Solution Preview for Environmental Conservation