Discuss the history of the study of thanatology in the United States. Who are the “founders” and the people who are advancing the study and
3-5 page, double-spaced, 1″ margins all around essay, minimum of 2-3 references from scholarly journals/articles or professionals, APA style formatting
1. Discuss the history of the study of thanatology in the United States. Who are the “founders” and the people who are advancing the study and why? What are the different branches or areas of concentration from a “professions” point of view such as anthropologists, religious leaders, sociologists, etc
2. Describe (COMPARE AND CONTRAST) the topic of death from each of these different perspectives. In your descriptions, include what implications for you as the student studying this topic and how it can and does impact societal changes.
o Social Science point of view
o Forensics point of view
o Healthcare/legal point of view (doctors/hospice/heroic efforts, etc)
o Legal point of view (disposition of remains of the body/personal items or property/effects)
o Ethics of observing/studying death and dying
o Privacy and respecting the individual’s desires
3. Thanatology is the study of death and dying. Describe these important topics within the discipline. Please use more than one sentence to relay your understanding. You may elaborate more in the areas that coincide more with your future plans beyond graduation or complement your degree program if applicable.
o Hospice care or palliative care (differences in philosophies of food and/or medication restriction)
o Right to die/physician-assisted suicide (where is it legal)
o Mass tragedy or deaths
o Certifications in Thanatology
o Bereavement Programs and program development
4. Find resources for the study of thanatology to include the different certifications available and the resources to gain these certifications. What are the national agencies? On-Line resources? Describe what you find and if you find the resources that you think are important.
5. Wrap up this topic with a brief description of what you learned vs what you thought these meant before writing this project. What, if any, additional steps will you take after this report? After all that you have learned from this course, what is your take-away regarding a professional career in the study of thanatology?
Answer preview for Discuss the history of the study of thanatology in the United States. Who are the “founders” and the people who are advancing the study and