Deterrence and the death penalty
To prepare for this week’s assignment, consider the feedback your instructor gave you on your Week 1 research question and make necessary revisions. To learn how to view the comments on your papers watch the Waypoint: Accessing Assignment Feedback (Links to an external site.) video.
This week, you will continue working on your annotated bibliography. If needed review the Week 3 Annotated Bibliography Example handout:
- Develop search terms based on your research question.
- Find two scholarly journal articles and one e-book with the help of Ashford Library Chat.
- Construct APA Style references for these sources.
- Write annotations for these sources.
- Copy and paste the chat transcript to the end of the document.
Develop Search Terms
To start this assignment, complete the Generating Search Terms worksheet. The Generating Search Terms worksheet will help you select the major concepts in your revised research question. Note: You will not submit this worksheet, but will need it for Step 2.
Find Two Scholarly Journal Articles and One E-Book
Now you are ready to search for scholarly journal articles and one e-book. Review the steps for using FindIt@AU by completing the GEN 103: Introduction to the Ashford University Library (Links to an external site.) tutorial.
- Consult with Ashford Library Chat (Links to an external site.) to find relevant search results. You will select the first scholarly journal article from these results.
- Bring your revised research question and two to five search terms to the chat session.
- Before you close the chat session, click on the envelope icon to email yourself a transcript of the chat. You will include the chat transcript as part of the assignment.
- Download and save the full text article so you can review it later.
- Use FindIt@AU and the skills you learned in chat to locate your second scholarly journal article. Download and save the full text article so you can review it later.
- Use your search terms and the Ashford University Library EBook Central database to find one e-book that relates to your research question. Watch the
- Ebook Central Overview and Searching (Links to an external site.) video for help with using this database.
For each source, make note of the information you need to construct references and locate each source again.
Construct APA References for These Sources
Remembering what you learned about how to format references in the APA Skill Activity, construct APA references for your sources. Write those references in the Library Sources Annotated Bibliography template. Check your reference format using the Ashford Writing Center’s Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) to ensure they are correct.
Write Annotations for These Sources
Now, you will write annotations for the two scholarly articles and one e-book. Write the annotations in your own words on the Library Sources Annotated Bibliography template. The annotations must be two paragraphs long and must address the points below. Provide brief descriptions or explanations to support your answers:
Paragraph 1: Summarize
- What kind of source is this?
- What is the thesis or main claim of the source?
- What evidence or claims does the source present in support of the thesis? Present at least two examples of support the source uses.
- What other important claims does the source make?
Paragraph 2: Evaluate
- How adequately does the source support its thesis?
- How current is the information in the source relative to your research question?
- How credible and authoritative is the source for your research question?
- What limitations, if any, did you note in the source?
- How does the source help answer your research question?
Copy and Paste the Chat Transcript to the End of the Document
Solution Preview for Deterrence and the death penalty