Definition of the topic/area of tourism employment (i.e what is accommodations, what is ecotourism, etc);
Assignment Two: Industry Research Project
In 2018, the tourism industry accounted for 1.7 million jobs—9.4% of all jobs in Canada.
There are a number of components that make up the tourism industry. Individually
students will research one of the major areas of tourism employment identified below.
1) Accommodation 2) Food and Beverage 3) Adventure Travel 4) Attractions
5) Events/Conferences 6) Travel Trade 7) Tourism Services
8) Transportation (airlines only)
Using at least five different sources of information, provide your insight into one of the
important areas identified above. Answer the following questions in your paper:
- Definition of the topic/area of tourism employment (i.e what is accommodations,
what is ecotourism, etc);
- Types of tourism businesses in the topic area you selected (i.e resorts, hotels
under the accommodations heading, air, rail etc under the transportation heading);
- Size: number of businesses, number of employees, and projected rate of growth;
provide any additional relevant data for Simcoe County, Ontario or Canada.
- List 6 jobs/careers that are specific to your sector. Describe the major
responsibilities/duties of TWO of the six jobs/careers you identified. Each job
summary should be no more than ½ page.
- Associations that represent the career area/sector you have chosen and provide a
summary of the association’s activities. (how do they benefit their members?)
- A brief description of publications/newsletters directed to employees in that
career area; and,
- Major challenges and issues (2 of each) that are/have impacted those in careers or
operating businesses in that area.
Answer preview for Definition of the topic/area of tourism employment (i.e what is accommodations, what is ecotourism, etc);