Choose two pieces of music composed since 1900, one of which you like and one you dislike, and explain why. The compositions can be from
Choose two pieces of music composed since 1900, one of which you like and one you dislike, and explain why. The compositions can be from the course listening (including the ones used in the listening assignments) or from elsewhere. However, if you choose works by composers outside the course listening, you should first confer with your tutor-marker.
Write a 5- to 7-page paper (double spaced, 12-14 pt font) explaining your reasoning. Try to remain logical and objective as you explain what appeals (or doesn’t appeal) to you in the two compositions you choose. Discuss the stylistic aspects of each work (including some historical perspective). Characteristics you should consider are:
Melody (or lack of melody).
Other features you consider relevant.
The following pictures are musics you can choose,
- Monophonic? Polyphonic? Homophonic? Is the texture consistent, or does it change often?
- Which instruments are playing? Are they playing in unusual ways? Is the combination of instruments unusual?
- Length of phrases, type of motion, step vs. leaps, etc.
- Can you hear what it is? Is there repetition?
- Functional? Atonal? Is there a sense of consonance or dissonance?
- Is it constant or changing?
- Melodic ShapeMelodic Shape
- Form from TextForm from Text
- Consonance and DissonanceConsonance and Dissonance
- Tonics and DominantsTonics and Dominants
- Romantic Harmony – The JourneyRomantic Harmony – The Journey
- Tonality in the Twentieth CenturyTonality in the Twentieth Century
- Extended TonalityExtended Tonality
- Instrumental PrimerInstrumental Primer
- The HarpThe Harp
- The String QuartetThe String Quartet
Answer preview for Choose two pieces of music composed since 1900, one of which you like and one you dislike, and explain why. The compositions can be from