600 word paper discussing the issues to be considered when deciding on a method of data collection in an academic research project.
In your response, you must draw on and cite at least two methodological journal articles and one empirical journal article on a type of data collection: (Online Surveys)
- Methodological journals include Organizational Research Methods, Journal of Mixed Methods Research and Qualitative Research (see the module’s ‘Library Reading list’, ‘Journals – Methodology and Methods’ section for more journal titles)
- Articles that report and discuss academic research projects are to be considered as empirical. Examples of journals that include such articles are vast and include The International Journal of Human Resource Management; Journal of International Business Studies; Work, Employment and Society; Organization Studies; and Academy of Management Journal. For more journals see ‘Module Handbook’ or the Library website. You could also draw on articles published in journals used in other modules on the programme.
In completing your Assessment, you must engage with recent research – that is:
- methodological articles that have been published in the past 10 years
- empirical articles that have a publication date in the last 7 years
Approaching the Assessment:
Then, search methodological journals to source articles that discuss your chosen approach. Read the articles to acquire knowledge of the data collection approach; for example, what are its strengths, weaknesses, when is it useful, what are the potential problems etc. You would not simply describe the strengths and weaknesses etc. of the approach to data collection in your response; rather, this broad knowledge gives you a foundation to build on.
Next, search for empirical articles that used your chosen approach to data collection and consider what issues (things) the author(s) took into account when collecting their data. When you have read a number of empirical studies and understood the research project – its aims, processes and claims – then you can apply and integrate your knowledge from the methodological journal articles with the lessons from the empirical articles to address the Assessment brief.
- The word count is 600 words (+ / – 10%)
- Your Assessment must be word processed and submitted as a Word or PDF file
the paper is about online surveys and I also need a reference page for the articles
Answer preview for 600 word paper discussing the issues to be considered when deciding on a method of data collection in an academic research project.